Eeeek! It doesn't look like I'm going to have this finished for January. Hopefully it won't bleed too much into February, as I have another big project planned and I don't want that to bleed into March because I have another really big project for March. Oh boy.
Last time I updated about the wall hanging I'm working on, it looked like this:
Since then I have put in a lot of work. The diamond frame was just there to help me visualize. I don't think they sell pre-made oval frames, and that's what I wanted, so I'm making one.
One of the things I've done is start the frame. I only have the back piece made so far, and I have several more pieces which will take me several more days to complete. It's a complex thing. So, after a few days I had this:
I chose to stagger the flowers a bit, just to be interesting. I made a large blue butterfly. I had this yellow rose garland that I was working on to help dress it up a bit and add in some color. Something about the garland was bothering me though, and I couldn't put my finger on it. I asked my Facebook followers to take a look for me and give their opinions. They all like the garland. But, I dunno. Something is still bothering me about it. I tried remaking the leaves in a darker green, but it still just doesn't sit right. I think it distracts from the Callas too much, maybe? I don't know, but I did end up deciding to leave them off. :( Sorry, guys.
But then, it was back to being plain and boring. So... I figured I'd just dress up the frame a bit! Originally it was just going to be rather plain, with three or four rows of beaded ovals all wired together.
Last night I made 24 of these:
It was quite a task to make them all the same size. They still aren't exactly the same size, but I'm not a machine. I'm just a person with basic tools and some wire wrapping skills. But I really like them. :) I'll have to file down the ends a little bit. I also cut out a section of the frame and made it a bit smaller so it would fit more closely around the flowers.
So, here's what I have for the frame so far. This is not complete. Not at all. The oval I have here is just the section that's going against the wall, with a built in loop for hanging. I want the decorative part of the frame to stick out a bit, so it won't be against the wall. I also have to add in these support wires to wire the flowers to and help the frame keep shape a bit better. These support armatures will be soldered to another oval the same size as the one I already have, and the ends of that oval will be soldered together as well. Then I'll be wiring that oval with the support wires to the bottom one. That's the support structure of my wall hanging. The decorative frame will be going on top of that. I'm thinking I'm going to make three more ovals wrapped with beads, and these swirls will be wired in between the 2nd and 3rd ones.
So the swirls are in the wrong place, but I put them here for now to get a feel for the piece. :)
I've also finished all my leaves. So, here is what I have now:
I really like it! Woohoooo! If I start getting ambitious, I might add in another butterfly, a smaller one in peach or some other soft, pastel color.
On a side note, I did business taxes for the first time a few days ago. It was insane. I really need to keep better books. But I think now that I know what to keep track of and all the different categories I need to separate purchases into, it will be much easier for me. Yay for learning!
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years. I hope you'll join me on my blog so you, too, can Learn the Art of French Beading.
Subscribe to my Newsletter to receive Blog Updates and announcements for new Patterns, Tutorials, Videos, and Books!