I know we're all tired of hearing about my Calla Wall Hanging, and quite frankly I'm starting to get a little frustrated.
My attempts to make my own oval frame from scratch has failed. My soldering skills are just not up to par with the task. Unfortunately, I didn't figure that out until after I'd already spent many days working on it. :( So, I'm using the pre-made square wreath frame. It will still look good, so I'm not too upset. But I was really hoping to make my own. I think ovals are just hard to make with this method, so I'll stay away from them until my skills improve. I have an idea for a square/rectangle one that uses wooden dowels as the main support. I don't have the wood working skills to make an oval out of wood. I don't have a table top jig saw, and all other saws just jump out of my tiny little hands. So, next time I'll just plan on using square, rectangles, or diamond shaped frames. :)
The last two days I've been working on this:
I had to add in the support wires in the center using some 16g floral stems. The wires and the frame were green, so I had to wrap every inch with black floral tape since I don't want the green to show through my beads.
I overestimated how many beads I'd need, but I underestimated how much wire I'd need to wrap the frame. And I don't shop on Sundays, so I can't get more wire until tomorrow evening.
Here's what I'm doing with those swirls I made. I have to make more of them since I'd only made enough for the oval frame and this one is larger. I'll be filling in all the open spaces with them. :) I really like how it's looking so far.
However, there is one major issue with this frame.
There's too much empty space. :S So, I don't have enough black wire to wrap more beads on the other half of the outer edge of the frame. But I will be spending part of today making a couple more leaves. I might do some fern leaves for the background, since they're easy to make and will take up space and add a little different texture. I'm just worried about all the green.
Oh, I also switched out the blue butterfly for a pale yellow one. I also have a tiny blue one that I made, but I couldn't find it for the picture. :S I might not use it though, so that's okay.
I've got a few more days it looks like. Then I'll finally be able to move onto February's flower, which is the Clematis. I was going to do another larger wall hanging, but I think I've decided to just leave the frame off and do a vine to hang on the wall by itself, or as a little corner piece to hang over a doorway or picture frame. :) I've been wanting to make garlands, and I think a Clematis would make a nice one. So February will be a bit simpler, and hopefully won't take as long.
Another thing I've been working on this week is rather exciting for me. The CEO of Zibbet picked me to be the featured artist on Zibbet's blog, so I spent a large amount of time agonizing over the interview questions and trying to get a good picture of me to go up there. The picture and interview will be on the front page of Zibbet for a while, as well as emailed out to everyone on their newsletter. So I'm a little nervous that so many people will be looking at my face. :S
But, yesterday I was working on wrapping the frame, and I thought "Hey! Let's get a picture of this!" So I had my husband snap a few shots. In case anyone is wondering, this is me:
My husband said that I look annoyed. Jerk.
The interview will be going up on Zibbet at the end of March, so look for me posting about it!
LAUREN'S CREATIONS has moved to it's new home on the web! Come drop on by my new website - BeadandBlossom.com - to learn the art of French Beaded Flowers.
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years. I hope you'll join me on my blog so you, too, can Learn the Art of French Beading.