Just wanted to drop by and share some pics of a couple finished custom orders.
First is the Southern Magnolia that I showed some in progress pics of last week. This is the first flower that I wrapped with silk floss instead of regular embroidery floss. It took forever. The stems are thick and there were tons of them. And the flower is huge, so holding it up and spinning it while wrapping on the floss made my hands cramp. It took hours. But it's so pretty. I really like how glossy and shiny the silk floss is.
Then I also finished another yellow rose. Yellow seems to be the most commonly ordered color of roses. I assumed red or pink would be the most popular, but apparently not. :) I do have a tutorial for this rose available in my Pattern Shop.
This stem was also wrapped with silk floss, but it didn't take nearly as long because the stem isn't as thick. I think I made a new personal best record on how quickly I could make one of my large roses. Usually it takes 4 days or so (only so many hours I can work in a day), but this one I did in 2.5 days. Of course, it was only possible because I slacked off on cleaning for a few days. And don't you know, that's when your in-laws tell you they're coming over for dinner in an hour, which is exactly what happened to me. So I had to throw my kids outside so I could power clean without bowling anyone over. Haha.
Now I'm working on 2 Dahlias. I've got the centers finished for those already. Just need about 50 more petals... Then these tiny little babies will be about 6 inches wide. I am doing this pattern next month (trying to decide on what colors to do, there's so many combos and they are all delicious) and there will be a few alterations to the original design, as well as leaves and a bud too.
But, if you've been looking forward to this tutorial, there is a technique that you need to know first. Last year I developed a new spokes combo technique (while I was designing these Dahlias actually) and it is taught in my Spokes Technique Tutorial, which is available in my Pattern Shop.
I also have a little poll going to figure out which pattern/tutorial to do for April. I do have a long list of patterns that have been requested, so I've chosen these two choices based on the most requested patterns and tutorials.
Hydrangea.... or a hair accessory packet with tutorials for a bunch of different types - clips, combs, barrettes, headbands, hair vines, bobby pins... etc. So far, Hydrangea is winning. Leave me a comment with your preference. :)
And I've got a little sale going for custom orders. I've got a bit of a wait list, so I'm offering a discount to anyone who is willing to wait a little longer than normal. This offer is available in my Etsy Shop via a coupon code - WAITLIST15 and is viable on any custom or made to order purchases before March 12th.
I opened up last month to Custom Orders after my end of the year hiatus, and I've been fairly busy with orders. :) Last month I made this yellow rose.
And then early this month I said goodbye to my burgundy Peony arrangement and my new Poinsettias as they headed out to their new homes. It's a bittersweet moment when my babies leave the nest.
I also made another one of these miniature rose vines. (I'm thinking of doing a tutorial for these, but it's a few months out.)
And then... this past weekend I had a flurry of custom orders come in.
First one is for another one of my Southern Magnolias. That one should be done in a couple days. I'm using the special ordered 22g White wire by Parawire, and I'm loving it. It does take a little getting used to.
After this one is finished I will be making 2 of my large Dahlias. (I will be doing this pattern next month!) And another yellow rose just like the one up top.
Then after that I get to make Poppies! Never made those before so they will be a new design. Yay! I love new designs. And with that order there will be another mini rose vine. And finally, I get to make Lily of the Valley! Which I've also never made before, so another new design. These orders have me booked for the next month, and then I will be taking a short break from custom work to produce my Dahlia Pattern. I'll be adding in leaves of course, with just a few alterations to the original design (more petals?), and maybe some buds too.
After my Dahlia is complete I can either do my Hydrangea Pattern, or a hair accessory pack tutorial (with hair pins, hair clips, headbands, combs, barrettes... etc). Which would you prefer?
Also, I've discovered something new. A customer contacted me about making something like a daisy chain. Had to spend a day thinking about it, but my brain worked out something that I think is pretty neat! It's like a chain of Basic Frames stacked on top of each other, all with the same wire. Not sure if this is an actual thing or just something I pulled out of my brain. Anyone know of a name for this Technique?
I have been practicing recording video tutorials as well. I've finally got the lighting and sound correct, but I get so nervous that I forget how to do things and what words are. Haha. So I'm probably going to have to write a script so I don't fumble around like a goofball. The first one might still be a little awkward though.
I'll be back hopefully next week with some finished project pictures of a couple custom orders. :)
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for about six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years.
Subscribe to my blog to watch my creations come to life, receive French Beading tips, and to be updated when new tutorials and patterns are available.
Current Custom Order
2018 One-A-Day Project
I'm making one flower every day for 2018. Every month I will have a different color. At the end of the year I'm going to assemble all the pieces into a wreath. :)