Well hello my friends! I am so happy to be able to announce the publishing of my very first pattern for 2016 - Dahlias!!!
I finished this arrangement yesterday, and then finished the PDF this morning. :) I think this may be my new favorite arrangement. I'm keeping it forever. I'm going to try to get a video of the flower catching the light, because these beads are beautiful and super sparkly. Beyond anything the camera could catch in a still picture. I pledged before that I was going to do more shading and and interesting color patterns in my pieces, so I made my leaves stripey using regular 11/0's and 2 cut 11/0's which are really sparkly too. It was awesomely fun, and I love the effect! And it didn't really take much longer than making 1 colored scallops.
Funny story... while I was editing the pictures for the PDF, after I had already spent hours and hours putting it all together, I realized that I'd forgotten to put the sepals on... who does that? The flowers are so heavy, and my arms were so sore from holding them up during assembly that I dreaded the idea of taking them apart to put the sepals on... So I put them on afterwards. Had to bend all my leaves back out of the way, but it was still tricky. So... don't forget your sepals! And then my picture for my largest leaves didn't turn out, so I got to make a new large leaf this morning. It just had to be the large one! These things are what happens when you go with very little sleep for multiple days in a row.
My fingers hurt, my arms hurt, my whole soul is tired from lack of sleep. But, I feel victorious! The vase I've chosen to display these in was a gift from my wedding almost 8 years ago. It's been sitting around (getting a nice patina because I think patinas are cool) waiting for something to be put in it. This little lovely shall grace the top of our piano for eternity.
Hello! If you read my last post, then you know that I'm working on my next French Beaded Flower pattern. I'm doing my Dahlias! This pattern has been requested for a long time, so I'm excited that I'll finally be able to offer it.
I mentioned in my last post that I was going to do yellow with pink edging... but I changed my mind. The longer I looked at it, the less I liked it and it started to look garish and a little juvenile... and not realistic at all. I probably just chose the wrong beads, so I'll try that color combo again later. I've switched to yellow with white tips. I'm also using 2 cut satin beads, which are my absolute favorites in the whole wide world. The beads are sparkly AND silky, and they're just gorgeous. I'm planning on getting a video of the finished flowers catching the light so you can see the effect better. It's glorious!
I did make a few adjustments to my original Dahlia design - just adding in extra petals, really. So far I've got the petals finished. It was quite a task because there are so very many petals. I've got enough for a Large Dahlia and a Smaller one, plus a bud (might add a few more petals to that one). These petals still all need to be laced... (sewing across them with fine wire), so I guess they're not done-done. I'll be working on leaves and sepals next, between petal lacing sessions. If that goes quickly I might have time to add on a couple more buds. I'm still planning on publishing the pattern by the end of the month. Go fingers, go!
Here's a little preview of what the smaller Dahlia will look like once assembled. I tried so hard to get a shot like this of my Larger Dahlia, but there's just too many petals to hold together. I was surprised that I managed the smaller one.
Whenever I manage to get my hands on flowers, I take them apart to see how all the pieces connect. And so I can photograph, trace, and measure all the parts and pieces. I don't get to do it often, since I have a black thumb of death and can't seem to grow real flowers... and asking neighbors if I can dissect some of their flowers is just too much for a shy, socially awkward person like me. It really does help develop accurate patterns. Plus it's just plain fascinating.
Anyways, it's Spring now (yay!) which means flowers are starting to pop out everywhere. Including grocery stores. So I snagged myself a miniature daffodil plant. I took just a few flowers to study - one in each size that I saw on the plant. The largest was 2 1/2 inches wide. The smallest one (1 7/8" wide) just opened this morning. I meant to get pics and measurements for buds, too, but they popped open on me before I could get it done.
I'll probably go back and get the Hyacinth and tulips...
Happy Spring, everyone!
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years. I hope you'll join me on my blog so you, too, can Learn the Art of French Beading.
Subscribe to my Newsletter to receive Blog Updates and announcements for new Patterns, Tutorials, Videos, and Books!