Being a creative person does have it's problems. I was planning on working on my Gerbera Daisy pattern, but I sat there for two nights just looking at the beads and not being able to force myself to make the remaining pieces (I decided to make a fuller plant so I need to make a whole second flower). So I was going to work on the written instructions and editing the portion that I already had done... but I just got a new computer and I was having some serious issues getting it all set up right so we ended up spending a few nights just trying to fix the dang thing. Windows 8 sucks by the way. Horribly. That's also why I haven't been blogged in a while either.
Once I got all that done, I just needed an easy project. Something I could make quickly and see results fast. So I made a bunch of bobby pins, including a set of Sunflower bobby pins. :) I've been playing with a program called Fotofuze to edit my pictures... and sometimes they end up really bright and I haven't figured out how to fix that. Sorry if they are hard to look at. :S I just need a professional photographer to take my pics for me... but I'm a tiny small business so I can't afford that!
After I made these I was on a mini Sunflower kick. It kind of feels nice to just go with the flow instead of trying to force creativity in a certain direction. Since I was working with sunflowers, I thought it would be neat to experiment with using size 15/0 seed beads to make some super mini ones for a pair of earrings. But I couldn't get the design to look right and I was quickly running out of the will to make them... so I took the mini sunflower I made, added some drops and turned it into a pendant. :) Isn't it cute!
Yay! Sometime soon I want to make a sunflower brooch/pin, and possibly a full Sunflower stem if I start feeling ambitious. I have a neat idea for how to attach the petals further out from the stem wire and want to test it out, but I'm kind of enjoying the smaller projects.
The above items are available in my Etsy Shop - LaurenHCreations
I mentioned before that I was going to open a Bridal shop to separate my wedding accessories from home decor. Well, I felt a bit of inspiration this week and was able to produce two new designs for my new shop. I'm very excited about them!
This first one is a hair vine. I've made a couple hair vines in the past, but they weren't as fancy looking a this one. Hair vines are held in the hair with bobby pins, so it's necessary to keep them light-weight. I used an Ivory and Gold color theme, mostly because I'm struggling with photographing a white item on a black background... so until I can figure that out I might stick with other colors. :S I know, who has a bridal shop without anything white in it? I have lots of ideas for hair vines, so I'm hoping they will be a staple in my shop.
The second one was kind of built off the idea of a hair vine, but with bigger and heavier flowers so it needed to be mounted on a comb. This one I was able to kind of photograph this on a dark background, which really helped the red look nicer and less washed out than with a white background. Nice to know... Still need some work on the photos, but these will do for now. I really do love this piece! It's 7 inches long, and the vines on the side can be bent up or down and pinned in place, depending on how the wearer chooses to style it. I had so much fun with this! Be prepared to see more of them.
These two are both available in my nearly-empty bridal shop - Bead & Blossom.
For now my brain wants to continue working on these types of projects. Maybe I'll try that sunflower brooch tonight! I think I just got really tired after so many months of larger custom orders... But I will be finishing my Gerbera Tutorial just as soon as I can make my fingers do it.
Yay! I have another finished piece to show!
This was a custom order that I received a few weeks ago from a previous customer. It took some time to develop a proper pattern - I had a basic one that I'd already made, but it needed some tweaking. And I had to practice making those spots for a while before I could get them right. A very tedious project, but I am very happy with the results!
So that concludes the custom orders I had. I've been doing custom pieces since July or so. Part of me thought I'd never get to the end of my list. First I will be finishing my Gerbera pattern. Then I will begin working on a few fall designs. I know it's a little late in the game for that, so I will probably only be making a few of those.
If you are interested in ordering your own custom made orchid plant, find the listing here.
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years. I hope you'll join me on my blog so you, too, can Learn the Art of French Beading.
Subscribe to my Newsletter to receive Blog Updates and announcements for new Patterns, Tutorials, Videos, and Books!