I was asked if I would blog a little about the design work that went into my recent commissioned wedding bouquet. Just fair warning, this is going to be a long, wordy post.
Now, I don't have the knowledge to even pretend to be a floral design expert, but I hope that at least going through my thoughts will help others as they make their own designs, and so anyone who goes through all the effort of reading this whole post can gain an understanding of the amount of work that goes into something this large.
I've spent a lot of time in the last year just researching wedding bouquets, because I knew I wanted to make them, and I wanted to make them well. So I've been studying this for a long time. I've watched how florists put them together, how the flowers sit against each other. While looking at pictures of bouquet that were more aesthetically appealing I carefully took note of what types of flowers were being combined, and the effect they had on the bouquet as a whole. Naturally, there are other considerations in play with beaded flowers (weight being the prime issue), but you can learn a lot by studying fresh and fake flower arrangements and bouquets.
This particular bouquet was commissioned, so not all of the choices were mine, but I did play a large part in choosing the flowers. There wasn't any scientific reasoning with my choices. Some of it was just a feeling and I'm not sure I can really even figure out what my reasons were for choosing them.
My customer messaged me inquiring about a Dahlia bouquet with a mix of a bunch of other types of flowers, but she wasn't sure which ones she wanted. She sent me the picture to the right to show me which type of Dahlias she liked best, and the colors that they should be - light pinks and peachy pinks. She also gave me this color palette to work with: coral pink, rose pink, blush pink, peach, and some ivory.
When she mentioned coral pink, my mind went straight to Peonies, which she loved. Now, these particular Dahlias she wanted and Peonies are both large flowers, which means that when made of beads they will be heavy. That means you can't put too many of those in a bouquet together unless you have arms of steel. So, for the rest of the flowers I tried to pick ones that would be a little smaller and lighter.
There are several characteristics I kept in mind while choosing flowers: shape, size, and color. These Dahlias were large and fluffy with multiple layers of long pointed petals. Peonies are large and fluffy with rounder petals and lots of frilly texture. Roses were an easy pick. They pair well with almost any other flower, and they can be made in any size you need. My customer wanted the ruffled roses, so that's what we went with, along with one of the regular roses. Since they were roses, I figured hey, let's go with rose pink for those.
Anemones are smaller lighter flowers with a relatively small number of rounded petals and a nice dark centers for contrast, and they come in Ivory. :) Some Anemones have frilly petals and some have round, I went with round because my Peonies and Ruffled Roses both have frilly-edged petals and I wanted to mix it up.
So there were our main form flowers. With beaded flowers you can't always press flowers together and close up all the holes, so I figured filler flowers would be needed to avoid any gaps between flowers. Billy Balls are cute and pretty popular right now, and they add a new shape. When I mentioned those to my customer she came back with Astilbe and Lavender, which were perfect. They are both longer flowers, easy to make, and they take up space without being too heavy. Though it did add yellow and purple to our colors. The Astilbe we made in a light pink because there were so many other darker pinks and we didn't want those to take over.
For foliage I went with a mix. There's a large mixture of flowers, so it might be a little odd to have just one type and color of leaf. It's just more interesting with a mix. There are long pointy leaves, and short wide pointy leaves, and larger pointy scalloped leaves, and drooping sprigs of small round leaves. And 3 different colors of beads. We mixed these in between flowers instead of making a collar below the flowers to break up the pinks, and to provide a more organic texture.
I hope my scattered and unprofessional thoughts will be of some use to you. :)
Oo! I also finished my next couple of custom orders. There was this purple-y ruffled rose. This one was made with matte/frosted beads, which I don't normally use. They feel weird on my fingers. But the rose is still very pretty! My customer is using this in her wedding. :)
I also had my previous customer come back requesting more vines, which were very simple and easy to make. :)
Now with all my custom orders completed, I will put almost all of my beading energy into making Peonies. I will be taking tons of pictures of each and every piece so I can make a PDF Pattern. There will be a full Peony, a half open Peony, and a bud, along with the leaves of course. It should be available in my Pattern Shop and my New Etsy Shop for patterns by the end of the month.
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for about six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years.
Subscribe to my blog to watch my creations come to life, receive French Beading tips, and to be updated when new tutorials and patterns are available.
Current Custom Order
2018 One-A-Day Project
I'm making one flower every day for 2018. Every month I will have a different color. At the end of the year I'm going to assemble all the pieces into a wreath. :)