I'm posting this a little late on my blog, but each month I will be doing a Flower of the Month challenge, where I or my readers pick a flower for me to create and I'll base most of my designs around that flower.
For January, that flower is the Calla Lily. It's one of my most favorite flowers - so much in fact that I used it as my wedding flowers.
So I ordered everything I need for them, but it seems as though may companies I regularly order from had a long Christmas vacation. I'm a little ashamed to say I didn't think of that before I ordered. So, they're going to be a little later than I'd like. I decided to work on my new Sophie bracelet in the meantime.
I haven't finished the first one, and since I'm going to be short on time this month, I decided to just wait on finishing the original - which I was making for myself anyways - and just start working on the one I'm planning on featuring in my first Facebook Giveaway.
It's not quite finished yet, but it was time to update my blog, so here it is in progress. All I have left to do is add leaves on the last strand of flowers, then attach all the strands together so they don't flop around. I used a slightly different construction method than with the original, and it was much easier and faster.
I used vintage seed beads again, size 13/0 in Opal colors: violet, plum, and white. The flower centers are made using some small brown glass pearls. It will measure 7 1/4" long when finished.
I should have it finished in a couple more days. And that's about when my orders will be arriving. So it all works out well.
Here's the part where I need you to contain your laughter. Haha. The big project that I'm planning for January, using Calla Lilies, is actually a large wall hanging. I've been trying to draw it so I can get a good visual of what my design concept is going to look like before I make it... but I kinda suck at drawing. Hahaha... so I tried in Photoshop, but was having issues. So... I turned to regular old Windows Paint to help me... I kinda suck at Paint too, but not nearly as bad as drawing.
Please note that this is a design concept. It's like a rough draft, and will probably be changing a bit as I go along.
So. I'll be making three Calla Lilies with pearl white beads. And several of their giant leaves. I might even include some large ferns or long blade leaves in the back, just to add a little extra fluff. But that's just a maybe. I chose to go with the classic white Calla Lilies, with dark green leaves, a black frame, and some gold accents.
I also can't decide if I'm going to include the vase or not, which I would be making also with french beading techniques, out of gold beads. I could also just leave the vase off and use some more leaves to cover the stems. We shall see.
The frame I'm going to be making... hopefully... out of wire. Yeah. Wire! I didn't draw in the support armatures that will go behind the flowers, and the "painting" probably isn't much to scale. I decided on an oval frame as I thought the shape would complement the calla lilies the best. And since this is my first wire frame from scratch, I'm going to keep it simple. The drawing shows a gold ring in the center of the black ones, but I'm not sure about that one. I might just keep it black. This will certainly be my largest project to date. I hope I can still finish it in January, even with the later-than-planned shipments.
If I fail at making the frame from wire, I'm going to be searching for an oval wood frame to fit it that I can play with a bit. Either way, I'm very excited!
I may take a break during my long project to make a little calla lily shawl pin. I have an idea for one and I think I'd like to try it! :) I'll also be able to take pictures of just the calla lily stems to offer them as a made to order item in my shops! It time allows I might make another one in a different color just to show some variation.
Subscribe to my blog to watch my creations come to life and to receive updates about new tutorials, patterns, and sales!