Last week I started on a custom order with a timeline that was shorter than I would have liked. But I have succeeded!
When I began this project, I was going to use these light pink beads with a red center. I made all the petals, laced them, and sewed in the ruffles on the edge. Some of the petals I made a few times trying to get the right size ratio and shapes. It wasn't until after I tried making the giant ruffled center a few times in red that I realized that it looked like a giant Valentine, and that the bright red center was overpowering the light pink.
So I made an entire second set of Cattleya petals in a light coral-y pink with the bright red center. But it still didn't look right. So I picked my light pink petals back up and switched the center to a wine red. Made the giant ruffled center two times to be happy with it... then I picked one of them and completely assembled the flower.
You know how sometimes something looks really good in your head, and even while you're designing it and holding all the pieces together to get a good visual and you're thinking that it's going to be wonderful? But then you finish and you look at it... and hate it? That happened. I put in all these late nights slaving away at this project and thought I had something amazing. I finished that flower late last night, then realized that I really didn't like it at all. The colors were suddenly horrific together, and it made no sense at all. I knew it was bad when my husband hesitated before saying, "It looks fine." I was pretty embarrassed by it, which is why I'm not posting pictures of that one... My heart would not allow me to put my name to such a yucky flower, so I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning fixing it until I was satisfied. Luckily, I already had another set of petals, so I just needed a different center to work with them.
My fingers are actually sore. I haven't had a project do that to me in a long time. :)
Here is the final piece!
I will try to get a listing up for a custom Cattleya set up in my Etsy Shop soon!
I also have an order for a pink rose that I've already started on. (My brain needed a break from all those Cattleya ruffles one night so I made all the leaves and most of the petals). It should be finished sometime tomorrow. :) Woohoo!
I sure could use a nap!
Subscribe to my blog to watch my creations come to life and to receive updates about new tutorials, patterns, and sales!