Red is the Rose that in yonder garden grows...
Okay, so supposedly June and July are going to be Rose months. But now June is close to being over and I hadn't finished anything. I think after the hectic first week I had, my fingers just didn't want to bead very fast. (I had five orders in one week, two were custom orders, and packaging is very time consuming so I was up over my head and I nearly died!) One of those custom orders was for a rose... but I was in such a hurry that I forgot to take a picture of it. :S
This month I've been playing with several Rose things. I started a necklace, but my design flopped so I need to rethink things. Originally I had my beaded rose off-centered, but it proved to be too heavy. So I need to center it and re-bead the necklace strands and such. *Sigh* Unfortunately, since I don't work from patterns, many of my designs just don't work and I get to go back to the drawing board. In this case, I should have known this would happen, but I think my brain was numb and I was too excited.
Then I played around with a new rose pattern. I had a couple of ideas to improve the shape of my petals. One of my experiments failed. I was trying a new idea to make some heart-shaped petals. That combo of techniques didn't work out so well (I was doing a double scallop right at the top of the petal, so two scallops built on top of each other to form one big scallop). But I'm going to try one more time for heart-shaped with another technique. I'll let you know how that works out.
Another shape I was playing with was a wavy type. I think the technique I was using is actually a Ukrainian or Russian instead of the French method. :S I don't know. But I liked the result, I just didn't like that I couldn't do a reverse wrap at the bottom of the outer petals to hide the wires inside the flower. I will still be using this technique to make a few roses. Just not this time.
I ended up going through six hanks of these red beads, just playing around with petal shapes. :S I'm going to have to disassemble my mistakes to finish out this arrangement I'm working on.
So I made a large rose, bigger than my old design, but with the same basic round shaped petals. I did liven up my leaves a bit by changing the shape and size. :) And I really love the result.
It's very heavy though. This particular rose will be part of a larger rose arrangement. I'm going to make one bud and one smaller full rose along with more leaves. Possibly some baby's breath. :) But I did get up a custom-order listing in my Etsy Shop for the one stem. https://www.etsy.com/listing/193789556/large-french-beaded-rose-in-red-made-to?ref=shop_home_active_1
Next week I will be making a pattern for a smaller version of this rose, and it will be available for purchase in my Etsy Shop. :) I'm excited!
Lauren's Creations is moving to a new home on the web! I'm moving my website over piece by piece. Come drop on by the new website - BeadandBlossom.com to see how it's coming along! My shop here on Lauren's Creations will be taken down Oct. 30th to prepare for the move. It will reopen on the new site on November 1st!
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years. I hope you'll join me on my blog so you, too, can Learn the Art of French Beading.