This has been quite an experience for me. I started this project as part of my Flower of the Month challenge for January, and it took quite a bit longer than I planned. I've totaled over 90 hours working on this project, spanning about 5 weeks. Now that I see it complete, I'm actually glad that I had to use the diamond-shaped frame. It looks so much more ornate with it and gives the whole piece a larger presence.
I got most of the assembly done last night, but it got late and I was tired so I just went to bed. Then after I got the kiddos out of their morning crankies and fed them, I did a little more work on it. I hung it on my wall for a while so I could look at it. Every time I passed into the room I'd glance at it and over time I realized that I had a few pieces in the wrong spots. So those had to be moved. Then I hung it up again and looked at it in passing a few more times... went outside and covered the driveway with chalk with my 4 year old... and I realized that it needed some more of the fern leaves in a couple of places, just to help balance it out and make it look fuller. So I did that and got those wired in... and then I looked at it some more and I was finally pleased with the result.
This wall hanging has been a wonderful experience for me! It's the largest project I've done to date, and I learned a great deal while making it. I have a few ideas for more wall hanging I'd like to make, but not quite yet. I have a few other projects that need to come first!
For February I decided to use beads that I already had on hand as part of the Flower of the Month challenge. So I went through my beads and tried to figure out what flower I could make with those beads. In my New Year's goals I mentioned I wanted to make Clematis, and that's what I've decided on for this month. Clematis is a vine, and most varieties have large showy flowers with "fringy" centers. (I've tried growing them before, but I can't seem to keep plants alive. :( Fine, I'll just make them out of beads so they can't die on me! Take that!) The ones I'm going to make will be a powder blue, so a lighter blue that's a little purple-y. And what I'm going to turn them into is a garland - the type that you hang on the wall. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to make a corner piece or a straight one. But either way, you can hang them above doorways or picture frames, or windows. I'm also wanting to make a barrette, since it's been a while since I've done those, and possibly a brooch too. That should have me busy for the next two weeks. I actually just sat down tonight and made 18 of the 22 petals I'll need for the Clematis flowers in the garland. I do need to lace them, make the centers, and then a bunch of leaves. Nothing too complex, since the only thing I'll need to do to make it hang-able is to build in some loops on the back. I'm 90% sure I can complete it all by the end of the month. :D
I hope you follow along with me!
Lauren's Creations is moving to a new home on the web! I'm moving my website over piece by piece. Come drop on by the new website - BeadandBlossom.com to see how it's coming along! My shop here on Lauren's Creations will be taken down Oct. 30th to prepare for the move. It will reopen on the new site on November 1st!
Hello everyone! I am Lauren Harpster, the designer behind Lauren's Creations. I am a 28 year old wife, and a mother to three adorable little kids. I've been making French Beaded Flowers for six years now, and teaching French Beading through my website for about four years. I hope you'll join me on my blog so you, too, can Learn the Art of French Beading.